July 28, 2008

braces update: part 2

So we met with another specialist today and he had a totally different plan for the kids, he doesn't want to do anything for Sarah right now, he likes how her teeth are coming in and doesn't think it will be a big deal to fix in a few years when all her permanent teeth come in. Sarah's teeth are not as bad as Alissa's are. And we got a much different plan for Alissa than the first Dr. This new Dr. wants to start with braces on just her top teeth for about 6 months and see what that changes, then put braces on the bottom as well. He doesn't like the jaw surgery that is out there now and does not recommend it to any of his patients, he likes to pull permanent teeth instead, he said it is a lot cheaper and gives the same effects. So after the first 6 months of braces he will see if he will need to pull 2 permanent teeth and then adjust her braces for that. Needless to say Alissa liked that idea a lot better. I don't know how many of you remember that I had that same thing done when I was in 8th grade, and it worked fine for me with no problems so far, so we decided that we will go this route with Alissa. Yes, she can thank her mom for her wonderfully crowded teeth.

One more thing I purposely left out of the last post, the other Dr. said Alissa would need to wear head gear for 14 hours a day for 2 years, but this second orthodontist said she wouldn't have to since we may be pulling the teeth instead. So thank goodness for that, Alissa is thrilled with not having to wear head gear, and we are thrilled with not having surgery and not having 2 kids in braces at once. Yeah!!!

2 comments:

Russ said...

I hope everything works out. Keep on smiling girls.

Jaci said...

Oh happy day. So glad she doesn't have to have surgery. I still wish I would have had braces...maybe someday. :)